With technology getting advanced with each passing hour and the competitive world keeps
progressing with diverse and user- focused data products, the need for machine learning also
takes a hike. Machine learning can be used to make progress in personalization, recommendations and
predictive insights. Generally such issues are resolved with the help of R and Python but as
organizations keep piling the data, the data scientists are dedicating more of their time in
maintaining the infrastructure instead of coming up with the models to resolve their data
problems. Spark have come taking these features in mind.
M-Llib, a general machine learning library provided by Spark is devised for scalability, simplicity and easy assimilation with other tools. With Spark having key features like:-
- Language compatibility
Data scientists are able to resolve and iterate the data issues quickly and efficiently. Hence, M-
Llib’s use is increasing with time and is the top recommendations by data scientists.
R and Python are the popular languages that are used to solve large number of modules or
packages to resolve the data issues. But their uses now are very limited and time consuming.
What adds to their absoluteness is that these languages require sampling and extensive
Spark solves these problems with the following traits:-
- Fast unified engine.
- Very simple to use.
- Allows the data practitioners to solve the machine learning problems.
- Solve graph computation.
- Real time interactive query processing.
- Provides many languages such as Java, Scala, even Python and R.
- From the origination of the Apache Spark project, MLlib was considered the key source of hit
for Spark’s success. MLlib helps the data scientists by:-
- Helping them focus on data problems and models.
- Distributed systems engineering using Spark’s easy-to- use APIs.
- It is a general-purpose library.
- It provides algorithms.
- Simplicity is one of the advantages.
- Data languages are same that are used by R and Python.
- Amateurs can run algorithms out of the box while experts can tune the system by
adjusting important knobs and switches.
- Helps the business a lot by using the same workflow.
- Runs same ML code in the laptop and big cluster without breaking it down.
- Streamlined from end to end.
- Creating MLlib on top of Spark makes it possible to handle the multi steps that are
included in machine learning models.
With this single tool these multi steps are eliminated. The advantages include:-
- Lower learning curves.
- Less complex development and production environment.
- Shorter times to deliver high performing models.
- Compatible with other science tools.
- It is easier to join together the existing workflows with Spark.
- Allows the data scientists to solve multiple data problems and machine learning
- Spark ecosystem can solve graphic computations, streaming, interactive query
All these benefits of Spark will reiterate what the articles states in the beginning that this
programme helps the data professionals in solving the data issues rather than maintaining a
If you want to know about R language refer to this Article : What is Machine Learning With R?